The above illustration, "Blowing Bubbles," has been adapted for use here by generous permission from the artist, Cyril Rolando.

August 15, 2010

On axes, awards, and atypical behavior

I neglected to mention that I did get to attend Pulp Fest, however briefly. My advice to newbies regarding the vendor room: Know what you're looking for.  I didn't and was overwhelmed by my own ignorance. Also, crime fic appeared to be less well-represented than fanstasy/SF but it was there if you knew where to look. If you see something you want and choose not to buy it that minute, don't expect the object of your desire be there waiting patiently after you've circled the room. If it's something you want, chances are someone else wants it as well. So damn you, whoever took that fabulous copy of Give'em the Ax.

Imagine my amazement at learning that I've actually read three of the five Shamus nominees in the Best First PI Novel category: Russel D. McLean's THE GOOD SON; Brad Parks' FACES OF THE GONE; and Norman Green's THE LAST GIG.  And of course, DM favorite Dave Zeltserman received a nom in the Best Short Story category for his novella, JULIUS KATZ.  Congratulations to them and to all the other Shamus nominees.

Les Ballets Trockadero returns to central Ohio this winter, and I'm buying tickets as a Christmas gift to a good friend. Reckon it's about twenty years since I saw Trockadero perform. A memorable evening that was, too, having nothing to do with the ballet, but a rambunctious tale best not shared with those who see me as passive or genteel or, uh, non-violent. I hate to disillusion people. There's a demon in all of us, and if you've drunk whiskey, there are two.


  1. Naomi said:

    "There's a demon in all of us, and if you've drunk whiskey, there are two."

    One great sentence :-). Thanks.

  2. Thanks, Michael, but I've been reading James Lee Burke today and if I didn't unconsciously steal that line from him then I probably must still credit him with influencing me.