The above illustration, "Blowing Bubbles," has been adapted for use here by generous permission from the artist, Cyril Rolando.

August 17, 2010

Life in Translation 2010

PopCultureNerd is smarter than the average bear, Yogi. And clever? Yah. She came up with a meme which she calls My Life as a Book. According to the rules, I must describe myself by completing a set of (her) sentences using only titles of books I read in 2009. I looked around and -- I just don't seem to have that list handy. (Okay, I didn't even start keeping a list until this year. I only kept lists of what I wanted to read.) So I'll use what I've read so far this year.

In high school I was: Still Missing (Chevy Stevens)
People might be surprised I’m: Pushing Up Daisies (Rosemary Harris)
I will never be: The Devil (Ken Bruen)
My fantasy job is: Thinning the Turkey Herd (Robert Campbell)
At the end of a long day I need: Noir (Robert Coover)
I hate it when: Bad Things Happen (Harry Dolan)
Wish I had: Intelligence (Susan Hasler)
My family reunions are: A Parade of Cockeyed Creatures (George Baxt)
At a party you’d find me with: The Wolves of Fairmount Park (Dennis Tafoya)
I’ve never been to: Calumet City (Charlie Newton)
A happy day includes: The Last Good Kiss (James Crumley)
Motto I live by: No Sleep Till Wonderland (Paul Tremblay)
On my bucket list: Wake Up Dead (Roger Smith)
In my next life, I want to be: Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye (Victoria Laurie)

Thanks for the fun, PCN.


  1. Great selection, Naomi. The penultimate one is a bit disconcerting, though ;-). Thanks.

  2. I didn't make up the meme, Naomi, just the sentences.

    Your profile is hilarious, especially what you said about your family reunions and fantasy job. Your desire to be a zombie IS a little disturbing!

    Thanks for playing!

  3. Well, I don't really want to be a zombie, I just want to try death out first before I decide whether it's for me. You wouldn't buy shoes without trying them on, right? That ought to apply to a coffin and crypt as well.

    I love the fantasy job. Worth reading the book for that alone, although it was enjoyable on its own merits, too.

  4. Good explanation on your "zombie" wish. I must admit I was a little disturbed by it, but then I read the reply and I understood. Wouldn't it be nice if you could try Death like when you go to an ice-cream parlor and ask for a scoop?

    Anyway. That's a great list you got 'ere. Except, I wouldn't think you lacked Intelligence.


  5. I thought the fantasy job was hysterical too...and I just want to say I have one of the exact same responses and I didn't steal it from you, I swear!! I'll go back and see if I can change it before Friday, but in case I don't have something to swap it out with I didn't steal it...great minds just think alike is all...and I think you did exactly what you were supposed to do, Naomi...use books that you read this year.

    I also really like your response for a happy day.

    Fun stuff!

  6. Jen, I don't think using the same title is a no-no. If it fits, it fits. And I'm betting it's Harry Dolan's book, right? Don't change it, it's a perfect answer!

  7. Very cute. It might pay to choose books for their titles after this.

  8. If it ever really pays, you let me know. I'll follow in your footsteps, Patti!

  9. Your family reunion post is HILARIOUS. Great titles.

  10. Naomi, that fantasy job is priceless!