The above illustration, "Blowing Bubbles," has been adapted for use here by generous permission from the artist, Cyril Rolando.

April 2, 2010

Allergies, sinus stoppages: Must be award season!

Congratulations to my blog partner, Corey Wilde, on his Spinetingler nomination for Best Reviewer. This news couldn't come at a better time, I'm sure. I'm so proud of you, CW! But look who he's up against: our pal, Jen Forbus. Congrats to you, too, Jen. You've earned every kudo including some that you haven't received yet. And then there's the wonderful Lesa Holstine, the erudite Peter Rozovsky, and the indomitable Nerd of Noir. (Psst, Jen! Look, you're in a separate category from Bookgasm.)

Aside from the reviewer category, have you seen Spinetingler's lists for the New Voice and Rising Star categories? Those are some difficult choices for voters, yet not so difficult that I haven't already voted. How about you? Get on over there, you have until April 30th to vote and to round up votes for your favorites.

Coming hot on  the heels of Spinetingler's list of honorees is the Short Mystery Fiction Society's announcement of the 2010 finalists for the Derringer Awards. Congratulations to Drowning Machine favorite, Dave Zeltserman, for his nomination in the novelette category. I'm also happy to see Libby Cudmore and Stephen D. Rogers getting some love from the SMFS for their flash stories. And David Cranmer must be bursting his buttons, and rightfully so. His webzine, Beat to a Pulp, published four stories which garnered Spinetingler nominations. Now we see that two additional stories from Beat to a Pulp have been nominated for Derringers.

Other webzines getting Derringer nominations: Big Pulp, Thrillers, Killers 'n' Chillers, Back Alley, and Mysterical-E.

And just to prove that it's really award season and not spring, the storySouth Million Writers long list has been posted. http://www.storysouth.com/millionwriters/millionwritersnotable_2009.html. Webzines Plots with Guns and Thuglit had the honor of publishing several of the nominees. Always good to see personal favorite Eric Beetner getting some recognition for his fine work.

Shifting the attention from real writers to an unknown hack, I've been gifted with the freedom of a 3-4 day break from familial responsibilities later this summer. I'm not used to having that much free time. Where shall I go? What should I do? I've been looking at cruises but the idea of getting closer to the equator in the summertime doesn't have much allure for me. NW Pacific cruises run too long and they all have the wrong dates. I could vanish into a state park and write. (Why doesn't that sound like fun? Oh, right: Because writing is damned hard work.) I could visit distant family but I haven't had a vacation sans family in about ten years so I'd kind of like to take advantage of the alone time. I might talk a friend into accompanying me though. Still, I'm at something of a loss as to how to make the most of my time. Any ideas? You have the floor. I'm open to suggestions.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats to Corey, first off. Very well deserved, as is Jen and Lesa's nomination. And if I could make a a suggestion, come for a visit to lower left coast. L.A. and San Diego would bring you to Crais and Winslow Country. It will be summertime, but we're drier and by the Pacific Ocean. Additionally, you'd come to place where you have friends in Elyse and me to chaperone you to all the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike haunts like Griffith Park (The Monkey's Raincoat) and the Hollywood Reservoir (L.A. Requiem). Lastly, we could take you to the Venice restaurant where they have RC on the menu, too ;-). Think about it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Corey. Some good nominations there: Libby C, Eric B and Greg B are particular faves of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I will think about that, Michael. Thanks for the offer of free tour guide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to Corey and all the nominees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erudite, you say? I demur with a shy wave of the hand.

    Thanks!
    ================
     Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
     http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks ma'am! I'm humbled to be in such wonderful company...and yeah, no Blogasm, Ha!

    Did you figure out a place for your vacation? Since I'm a freeze baby, warm and sunny always sounds good to me. But you know, I've been told Maine is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blogasm would be a more apt name, wouldn't it?

    Yep, I've come up with an idea for my time away. Now I have to work out the plans. I hope to get a blog post or two out of it all. More about it later.

    ReplyDelete