The above illustration, "Blowing Bubbles," has been adapted for use here by generous permission from the artist, Cyril Rolando.

January 9, 2010

Short stops #3

I've spent a good portion of today working on a story of my own. Well, sort of my own. See, my friend, Fish, told me a true story about something that happened to him on one of his cross-country motorcycle trips. He suggested I could make a story out of it, and I agreed that all it needed was a different ending. That was last August. I'm still working on this story. It's taken a long time for it to become my story instead of Fish's, and I admit to some resistance because it falls into the horror genre rather than my comfort zone, which is crime fic.

Never mind all that. Here are some stories I couldn't resist:
Romantic reconciliation can be hazardous. Take a bite out of Anton Gully's mouth-watering morsel of flash-fiction, K heart N, at The Black Dogs of Despair Reading Room, and ask yourself whether you will ever see those Necco wafers in quite the same way as before.

Westerns aren't as in vogue perhaps, as contemporary tales of petty criminals and serial killers, but they fill a particularly American niche within crime fiction. Bill Wilbur's Ghost easily covers western, crime, and paranormal territory. Saddle up and throw a lasso around this ghostly tale at Short Barrel Fiction.

It's brutally cold here in the Midwest just now. Making a five-minute drive to the supermarket means warming up the car for 15 minutes first. But after reading Levi Smock's Life Expectancy, maybe I won't wait for the car to warm up from now on. Grab your car keys and head on over to Thuglit, Levi is ready to roll in Issue #32.

A favorite flash piece so far this year has to be Dana King's Foresight. You must, he tells the reader, be like a Boy Scout: Be prepared. This is a darkly funny work that left me chortling. You'll find that story and more at Mysterical-E.

And in the winter issue of Scalped Magazine, Albert Tucher will introduce you to The Only Amateur, a highly polished tale about a writer accused of murdering his wife. I wish I had written this one.


  1. I'm working my way throught these now but must say that Dana King's story is a beut. Great breakfast reading. Good call, N.

  2. Wow! Thanks for the plug NJ!

    And that Dana King piece really is a hoot.

  3. Horror? Well, when you finish this, you'll have me there. I'd love to see one from you, Naomi. Thanks.

  4. Coming from you, Naomi, that's quite a compliment. Thanks!

  5. Michael, thanks for the encouragement. You should be careful what you wish for. I'm not one bit comfortable with horror, reading it OR writing it.

    Paul, thanks for hanging in here with me. This short-story commentary, it's taking me some time to find my feet.

    Anton and Al, you're both welcome. I enjoyed the stories.

    And now: would any of you like to point me towards a really good online story (not one of your own) that you genuinely feel deserves a wider audience? Otherwise, you'll all still be subject to my hit-skip reading method.

  6. Glad you enjoyed the story.