The above illustration, "Blowing Bubbles," has been adapted for use here by generous permission from the artist, Cyril Rolando.

September 27, 2009

We have a winner!

My boundless gratitude goes to all of the writers who entered this contest. Without your 'nothing ventured' attitude I would have been left looking mighty silly. To the ten writers who accepted the invitation (read 'challenge') and managed to create their stories in a restricted time frame and even more restricted word count, I salute you. I thank you all for the enjoyment I derived from reading your stories.

And to the stern and impartial judges, Dave Zeltserman and Aldo Calcagno, I owe a serious debt of gratitude for volunteering their time and experience. Never having administered a contest before, I had no idea how valuable it would be to have qualified, unbiased eyes evaluating these stories.

And now, the winners:
1st Place: Beast by Hilary Davidson ($25 prize)
2nd Place: At Least I Felt Something by Sophie Littlefield ($15 prize)
3rd Place: Inspired Love by Keith Rawson ($10 prize)
Rounding out the top five are Jimmy Callaway (Frog and Toad Are No Longer Friends) and Mike Wilkerson (Gulf Coast Swimmer). Remember, the top five will have automatic byes in the event there is ever a second Watery Grave Invitational. Again, my thanks to all of the authors for picking up the gauntlet and the pen.

Watch this space! Hilary Davidson's winning story will be posted soon.

15 comments:

  1. Hey everyone - Thank you so much for making this contest happy and I am crazy grateful and honored to have placed - especially in such great company! I feel very lucky to be part of this writing community. You guys are my people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so rare that I am in the top five of anything--hell, in the top 100 of anything. Many heartfelt congratulations to the winners, and many sincere thank-yous to Corey and the esteemed judges for allowing me this opportunity. I echo Ms. Littlefield's sentiment entirely--just glad to be here, everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congrats to all the winners and big hugs to two of my favorite ladies of crime fiction!! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a pleasure to be invited. So excited to read the winning stories. Congratulations all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still in shock, but seriously grateful and honored. Congrats to everyone who participated — personally, I'd love to read ALL of the entries. And thanks to the judges and to Corey, for making the Watery Grave Invitational happen in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to all the winners!! I'm looking forward to reading the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the well wishes, guys! I can't wait to read Sophie and Hilary's stories! (And all the other entrants as well, because I'm sure I'll be reading them in one of the zines--or print publications--sooner or later.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Corey...great contest. Congrats to all the winners, can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A hat tip to Corey and the judges for their time and energy, and a huge pat on the the back for the top five.
    Look forward to reading 'em.
    Respect n regards,
    Col

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheers Corey for running it, and congrats to all the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great contest. Some MEGA writers there. Congrats to all the winners. Look forward to reading them later today -I NEVER miss a Rawson story and Sophie and H. are splendidly splendid writers so ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kudos to the winners and everyone who took a chance. Also, a thanks to Corey for the challenge. We're all better writers because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How can I be so late on this! Congrats to all of the winners, all of those who participated in this grassroots event, and the crazy ol' Buckeye who came up with this Watery Grave Invitational. Now, I'm looking forward to reading all of these. Great stuff, Corey.

    ReplyDelete