The above illustration, "Blowing Bubbles," has been adapted for use here by generous permission from the artist, Cyril Rolando.

August 26, 2009

Here come the judge, y'all!

Out of the blue, an incredibly generous offer arrived in my email today. Without even a vestige of extortion on my part, no less a personage than Dave Zeltserman stepped in to offer his services to help judge the short story submissions from the ten invitees to the Watery Grave Short Story Invitational. That Dave: talented, generous and classy.

Before Dave started getting glowing reviews from the likes of NPR's Maureen Corrigan for his novels, such as Small Crimes and Pariah, for five years he ran what was arguably the finest crime fiction web-zine around, Hardluck Stories, as it attracted some notable guest editors and contributors (Ken Bruen, anyone?). Dave has seen a lot of short crime fic, so I expect everyone to up their game. It's not just me you have to impress now.

The real reason this is such great news is that for the invitees, those ten stories are going to be looked at and evaluated by an author who knows of whence he judges, and not just by some blogger whose opinion carries only cash value. I'm no writer, but if I were I would rather have my work approved by Zeltserman than a $25 check. And one of you invitees, whoever you are, is going to have both. Such a deal!

8 comments:

  1. Oh Hell, yeah!This turning into one nifty little competition, Corey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Corey!! I have tweeted about your contest a couple times this week. I'm going to mention it on the blog this weekend!! Nice going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith, it's very generous of Dave to lend both his name and his time & experience, because I know he is one busy writer.

    Jen, I can never thank you enough for the support you always give me. So just, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pressure to pick the right story for the first part of this test. Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew this comp of yours would gain momentum. Glad to hear this is taking off. Way to go, Corey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael, if I get as many entrants next week as I got volunteers to be judges, this could work. If not, expect to see me on the street corner with sign, "will work for contest applicants."

    Keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck Corey! What a great idea, I can't wait to see how the contest goes, and it sounds like it is going great already.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We shall see, Bev, we shall see.

    ReplyDelete